Section 1: Overview and Purpose of Position
|Responsible for providing Interpreter Services as needed for JVS programs.
Section 2: Qualifications (skills, education, experience)
|Level of Education
- A high school diploma, or a bachelor’s degree or equivalent course of study in an institution of higher education either in the United States or abroad.
- Completed interpreter training in The Community Interpreter, Bridging the Gap, Seal of Biliteracy, or comparable interpreter training program and/or complete within first 3 month of hire date.
- Relevant work experience in the field of interpreting.
- Proven oral proficiency and basic reading and writing skills in both English and Swahili.
- Oral proficiency and basic reading and writing in Kinyarwanda is also preferred.
- Experience in delivering services to low-income communities (hospitals, schools, social services agencies) is preferred.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and handing multiple tasks at once.
Section 3: Responsibilities/Duties
- Provides Swahili interpreting for clients and JVS staff.
- Follows the Interpreter’s Code of Ethics, Standards of Practice, privacy policies and JVS Code of Conduct.
- Understands and implements the roles of an interpreter, primarily working as a conduit, clarifier and culture broker within the session.
- Works collaboratively with JVS staff in other duties related to language access: telephone reminder calls, conference calls, scheduling program meetings.
- Willingness to meet in clients’ homes accompanied by staff.
- Willingness to take with interpretation appointments with customers in the Kansas City area as needed.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation in order to take appointments outside of JVS.
- Works collaboratively with Interpreter Services Manager with regards to scheduling and program requirements.
- Assist with coverage of the Interpreter Services desk when manager is out or in a meeting.
- Maintains professionalism and strives to continually increase interpreting proficiency by learning new terms and improving skills.
- Technical knowledge and ability to learn new software including Fluency and ClientTrack and judgment to accomplish required tasks in those systems.
Section 4: Skills Needed
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to be self-directed and highly flexible in daily work.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that is multicultural and multilingual.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to develop positive working relationships with both internal and external collaborators.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Word and internet-based communication and time management software.
Section 5: Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Hours: regular 8-hour day within the workweek. Compensated for time outside of a 40-hour workweek.
- Hours are tracked through Paylocity.
- Effort tracked to programs through separate system.
- Much of the work is typically performed in an interior temperature-controlled office work environment.
Salary range: $35,000 – $45,000
A note to Potential Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary individuals and BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single qualification listed in the job description. Here at JVS we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may come from a background less traditional to our field of work and that is okay. JVS strongly encourages you to apply, even if you do not believe you meet every qualification described.
Please submit your resume to email@example.com