Reports to: Social Work Program Manager
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Summary – Overview and Purpose of Position
The Social Worker is responsible for fulfilling the JVS mission by providing intensive case management
services for social work clients. The Social Work Program is focused on holistic, culturally competent
social work interventions, based on strengths, empowerment, and ecological perspectives and adherence to
the NASW Social Work Code of Ethics. These culturally competent interventions utilize multicultural and
language abilities of staff, as well as trained contracted interpreters. Types of interventions, as well as
frequency and intensity of services, are driven by the needs of each client. Case management services cover
a range of issues including mental health services, assistance accessing physical health services, increased
knowledge of women’s rights, increased understanding of DV/sexual assault and increased
knowledge/access to community resources. The majority of social work clients are refugees who come from
diverse backgrounds. Building and maintaining positive relationship with clients, communities, and
agencies is an integral part of the position.
Qualifications – Education and Experience
Licensed Master of Social Work degree preferred; experience working with diverse cultures; AND two
years experience working in a social service field or related capacity; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Must have own car with appropriate auto insurance.
- Provide individual and family case management services for refugees experiencing mental health
concerns or domestic violence.
- Manage and maintain client files by completing all assigned documentation including bio-psycho-
social intakes, assessments, case notes and treatment plans.
- Assist in developing and expanding refugee support groups and group work.
- Participate in program evaluation and best practice research.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of social work values and ethics, as delineated in the NASW Code of Ethics
- Knowledge and experience of advanced generalist Social Work practice, thereby enabling practice
and oversight of individual, family, group, and community social work interventions
- Ability to establish and develop relationships with JVS staff/community agencies/partners
- Ability to be self-directed and highly flexible in daily work.
- Ability to recognize and respect cultural and ethnic differences
- Knowledge and understanding of trauma and domestic violence
- Knowledge and/or willingness to learn and identify a wide range of community resources
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel and willingness to learn/utilize JVS database
- The Social Worker must be able to effectively interact with the program managers and workers within the
various departments of JVS.
- The Social Worker must be able to represent JVS and the Social Integration Program to clients, community
partners/agencies and funders.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Frequent travel in the community with private vehicle. Setting may vary depending upon the client or
partner agency’s location. Moderate physical effort. Occasional may lift/carry up to 25 lbs. May require
long periods at a computer.
- Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and
truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success
and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to delivering on his/her duty and
presenting oneself as a credible representative of the agency to maintain the clients’ trust and foster
- Client Services
- Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external clients in a
manner that provides satisfaction for the client and fosters client loyalty. It implies helping or
serving others, to meet their needs. It means focusing on discovering those needs and figuring out
how to best meet them.
- Continuous Learning
- Demonstrates eagerness to acquire necessary technical knowledge, skills, and judgment to
accomplish a result or to serve a client’s needs effectively. Has desire and drive to acquire
knowledge and skills necessary to perform job more effectively.
- Cultural Awareness
- Demonstrates an open-minded approach to understanding people regardless of their gender, age,
race, national origin, religion, ethnicity, disability status, or other characteristics; treats all people
fairly and consistently; effectively works with people from diverse backgrounds by treating them
with dignity and respect.
- Ethics and Integrity
- Exhibits trustworthiness and ethical behaviors with consideration for the knowledge one has of the
impact and consequences when making a decision or taking action. Treats others with respect and
takes responsibility for actions.
- Relationship Building
- Able to develop, maintain, and strengthen relationships with others inside or outside of the
organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Able to effectively work and complete assignments in group settings. Works cooperatively, with a
positive attitude with others to achieve common goals. Treats others with dignity and respect and
maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.