Section 1: Overview and Purpose of Position
The JVS Refugee Career Pathways program promotes economic self-sufficiency for refugees
and immigrants with barriers to achieving their career goals by connecting them with training
and resources and job search support. The Career Pathways Case Manager will work directly
with clients in order to provide the following services:
● Assistance in creating personalized career development plans
● Access to the classroom and work-based learning opportunities
● Career coaching and mentoring
● Connections with educational opportunities, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training
● Re-credentialing and credential recognition
● Vocational English language training
● Job search, application, and retention support for career advancement/job upgrade.
Section 2: Qualifications (skills, education, experience)
● Bachelor’s degree in Rehabilitation, Psychology, Social Work, or another related field.
● The degree may be substituted with a high school diploma or GED and five years of work
experience in the field.
● Experience in providing case management and employment services.
● Minimum 2-3 years working with immigrant populations and/or low-income populations
● Previous experience working with refugees is strongly desired.
● Bilingual is strongly preferred, preference for Dari and/or Pashto
● Valid Driver’s license and proof of insurance
Section 3: Responsibilities/Duties
● Complete intake and assessment forms for all clients referred to the Career Pathways
● Assist clients with navigating the educational system if training or a degree is required for
the desired career path
● Communicate and coordinate with other JVS staff to ensure the timely and high-quality
provision of services
● Ensure clients are aware of program activities and requirements and understand their
rights and responsibilities
● Provide service with awareness of differences based on the diversity of populations served
and tailor services to meet client needs
● Meet with clients on a regular basis to identify and address client concerns and barriers to
achieving their career paths.
● Participate in the development and implementation of classes geared towards job
readiness skills and career development.
● Provide on-site job analysis, consultation, and recommendations for the work site and job
modifications when appropriate
● Collaborate with other existing workforce development programs to promote best
practices in support of diversity, equity, and inclusion
● Determine appropriate services to be used with clients to obtain a job upgrade and retain
new employment for a minimum of 90 days.
● Provide accurate and timely data entry of all action plans, progress notes, and other
documentation in a timely manner for each program participant.
● Assist with marketing the program to the community and outside referral sources.
● Become familiar with job market trends and community employment opportunities,
sharing information with persons served and other staff members as needed.
● Market individual program participants and JVS programs to employers throughout the
community using JVS materials and on-site personal interviews with employers.
● Assist employers and educators in identifying, modifying, and eliminating barriers to the employment and advancement of persons served.
Section 4: Skills Needed
● Ability to work effectively in an environment that is multicultural and multilingual
● Ability to work a flexible schedule
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Knowledge of employment and/or specific client populations
● Knowledge of occupations, job skills, and labor trends
● Must have competent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
● Strong time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks.
● Strong computer skills and proficiency in Word, Excel, Access, and internet-based communication.
● Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal staff, refugee clients, community leaders, and community partners.
Section 5: Working Conditions and Physical Effort
The position requires some flexibility in schedule, with some weekends and/or evenings
required. Approximately 75% of the job will be completed in the office with occasional travel
to client homes, community events, public service providers, and other service locations as
necessary. Use of your personal vehicle is necessary with mileage reimbursement.
A note to Potential Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary individuals and BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single qualification listed in the job description. Here at JVS we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may come from a background less traditional to our field of work and that is okay. JVS strongly encourages you to apply, even if you do not believe you meet every qualification described.