Section 1: Summary – Overview and Purpose of Position
The purpose of the position will be to provide consistent interpreter services in Pashto and/or Dari for JVS staff and to assist staff in areas of cultural competency related to the Afghan community. The position will also require that the interpreter assist the Language and Cultural Services department in recruiting new Pashto and Dari interpreters and in developing resources for interpreters.
Section 2: Qualifications – Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent course of study in an institution of higher education.
- A proficient speaker and writer of English, Pashto and Dari.
- Experience interpreting and aware of code of ethics rules such as confidentiality.
- Experience working with Afghan communities.
- At least one year of formal work experience.
Section 3: Responsibilities/Duties
- Interpret in Pashto or Dari for JVS staff appointments and community events.
- Provide cultural information on Afghan culture as needed for JVS staff.
- Provide as-needed interpretation and guidance for incoming clients in the front lobby.
- Provide short document translations as needed for JVS staff.
- Develop a glossary of terms from Pashto/Dari to English for use by interpreters.
- Assist in recruiting new interpreters in Afghan languages for JVS Interpreter Services.
Section 4: Skills Needed
- Shows ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Demonstrates mastery of English, Pashto and Dari.
- Demonstrates flexibility in working with a variety of people.
- Demonstrates self-motivation and self-reliance.
- Shows commitment to refugee and immigrant communities.
- Shows ability to work effectively in an environment that is multicultural and multilingual.
- Demonstrates strong time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Maintains computer skills and proficiency in Word, Excel, Access and internet-based communication.
- Has access to reliable transportation.
Section 5: Relationships
The ability to develop positive working relationships with internal staff and community partners.
Section 6: Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Position requires some flexibility in schedule, with infrequent weekends and/or evenings. Position may require travel to client homes, airport, presentations, and community meetings. May include exposure to temperature extremes while in the community. Light, exerting of up to 30 pounds of force occasionally / frequent exerting of up to 10 pounds of force. May require carrying up to 30 pounds (laptop computer, printer, case files) while working in the community. Requires standing and walking to a considerable degree.