Section 1: Overview and Purpose of Position
|The Housing and Donations Team Lead is responsible for securing safe, adequate, and affordable housing for new refugee clients. This includes working with landlords to establish collaborative relationships allowing JVS to provide appropriate housing, prepared for clients before arrival. Team Lead will identify housing for refugee families, taking into consideration proximity of schools, bus lines, grocery, libraries, and other services as well as safety of the neighborhood and cost of housing. Team Lead is responsible for tracking all expenses related to materials required by the Cooperative Agreement to be placed in homes as well as initial rent and deposits. The Team Lead oversees 3 other team members on the Housing & Donations Team and operates as a member of the broader Resettlement Team.
Section 2: Qualifications (skills, education, experience)
- High School diploma, (relevant experience may be substituted for diploma), Bachelors degree preferred.
- Experience with the housing sector (non-profit housing, real estate, property management, etc.) required.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience working with immigrant populations and/or low-income populations preferred.
- Experience with project management and/or staff supervision required. 1-2 years experience supervising staff preferred.
- Valid driver license with classification appropriate to operate JVS vehicles (including box truck and cargo van), valid auto insurance, clean driving record with no moving violations within the past three years.
Section 3: Responsibilities/Duties
- Establish, maintain, and expand the database of landlords.
- Secure housing for arriving cases. [Except in cases of late arrival notices, housing should be identified two weeks prior to arrival.]
- Ensure utilities are connected prior to clients’ arrival.
- Request initial rent/deposit payments from accounting as well as requesting monthly payment for all clients currently active in R&P program.
- Coordinate schedule for home set-ups, including scheduling JVS staff, temporary workers, and/or volunteers as needed
- Supervise Housing Case Manager who ensures safety of homes and completes home set-ups prior to client arrival
- Supervise Housing Specialist who completes lease signing process with each household and supports other JVS clients looking to find new/different housing.
- Supervise Donations Specialist who responds to in-kind donor calls and solicits other donations in order to ensure needed home furnishings are available for each home set-up.
- Plan and execute quarterly landlord informational meetings to keep landlords abreast of incoming populations and troubleshoot problems.
- Occasionally participate in home set-ups and donation pick-ups when additional staff support is needed for these activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Section 4: Skills Needed
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and community driven.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with a proven ability to meet deadlines; able to effectively prioritize, delegate, and execute multiple tasks.
- Ability to be self-directed and highly flexible in daily work.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that is multicultural and multilingual.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to develop positive working relationships with both internal and external collaborators.
- Effective mediation skills between landlords and client, keeping in mind that advocating for clients is the agency’s primary priority.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Word, Excel, Google Docs and internet-based communication.
- Ability to create reports with statistical data relating to landlord retention and expansion, rent amounts, proximity to public services, in-coming donation values, and values of out-going donations.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Comfort driving cargo van and box truck.
Section 5: Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Hours- full-time hours, mostly during regular business hours with flexibility for occasional evenings/weekends as dictated by new arrivals schedule and client needs
- Regular travel to potential homes and landlord meetings in personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement
- Up to 25% of the job may be completed in the warehouse which has neither heating nor cooling, so tolerance to extremes of heat and cold is required.
- When not working in the community, work is typically performed in an interior temperature-controlled office work environment. Position requires periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Position requires bending, squatting, sitting, standing, walking, pulling, pushing, lifting, and moving items that may weigh up to 50 lbs
- Agency cell phone will be provided for contact with landlords and other community partners.
Salary range: $36,850 – 45,000
A note to Potential Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary individuals and BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single qualification listed in the job description. Here at JVS we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may come from a background less traditional to our field of work and that is okay. JVS strongly encourages you to apply, even if you do not believe you meet every qualification described.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org