Full Time Exempt
Successfully promote and support the mission of JVS by providing day-to-day support for programming that serves refugee populations in the Kansas City area through agriculture. The Global Gardens Project Coordinator will work with JVS Social Work Department and Refugee Social Services to assist refugees who are struggling with mental and physical health needs to obtain gardening experience in the United States. Global Gardens Project Coordinator will collaborate with local community food and urban farming coalitions to discuss best practices and advocate for policy change.
Combination or education and experience normally represented by a Bachelor’s Degree in social work or human service field required. Urban gardening experience required; transcripts and/or professional references will be requested. Minimum combined 1-3 years working with immigrant populations and/or low-income populations required. Previous experience working with refugees strongly desired.
Position requires use of personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement. Valid driver’s license, insurance, and clean driving record is required. Use of cell phone is also required with partial reimbursement by agency.
- Recruit and train participants through workshops and individual support, including providing technical and material assistance, and information on healthy living/eating.
- Coordinate workshops and garden workshops in collaboration with gardeners and interpreters.
- Monitor crop output, worker participation and healthy eating standards to accurately maintain participant database for grant reporting and evaluation.
- Assist in graduate growers identifying placements, completing applications and engaging in external community gardens.
- Start and maintain plants in high tunnel for use as an educational tool for enrolled gardeners.
- Supervise and support seasonal worker to maintain 4 demonstration plots and orchards.
- Coordinate with local farmer’s market to host a day where growers have the opportunity to sell produce.
- Coordinate with JVS Operations Manager and Social Work Manager regarding mowing and other maintenance needs.
- Coordinate 2-3 annual field trips for growers to learn about external community gardens and access to garden supplies.
- Oversee volunteer groups and work days at garden sites.
- Collaborate with local community food and urban farming coalitions to discuss best practices and advocate for policy change.
- Work collaboratively with community partners including, but not limited to, Cultivate Kansas City, Kansas City Community Gardens, MU Extension Office, Lykins Farm, Indian Mound Neighborhood Association, etc.
- Responsible for providing data for grant reports.
- Track program expenses in collaborate with Social Work Manager and Financial Manager as needed.
- Assist with the promotion of Global Gardens in the neighborhood and with other refugee/immigrant service providers.
- Identify, obtain and prepare plots for gardening (as needed), including working with the Kansas City Land Bank, securing access to water, soil preparation and obtaining necessary tools and planting materials.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that is multi-cultural and multi-lingual.
- Experience with urban gardening.
- Experience teaching and working with community groups.
- Ability to comfortably lift up to 40 pounds repeatedly and undertake physically demanding gardening work.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (including evenings and weekends when necessary).
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision.
- Must have competent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Word, Excel, Access and internet-based communication.
- Must have a valid Missouri or Kansas Driver’s License and a verified safe driving record and reliable means of transportation for local travel.
- Must provide a copy of license
The ability to develop positive working relationships with internal staff, refugee clients and community leaders, and community partners is absolutely paramount.
Working Conditions and Physical Efforts
Position requires some flexibility in schedule, with some weekends and/or evenings required. This position will primarily be a coordinator of services; approximately 50% of the job will be completed in office. Occasional travel to client homes, public service providers, and other service locations will be necessary. Use of personal vehicle is necessary with mileage reimbursement.
- Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to delivering on his/her duty and presenting oneself as a credible representative of the agency to maintain the clients’ trust and foster client loyalty.
- Client Service
- Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external clients in a manner that provides satisfaction for the client and fosters client loyalty. It implies helping or serving others, to meet their needs. It means focusing on discovering those needs and figuring out how to best meet them.
- Effectively communicates by actively listening and sharing relevant information so as to anticipate problems and ensure effectiveness of the agency; effectively communicates by adjusting style, tone and level of detail appropriate to the audience and occasion.
- Cultural Awareness
- Demonstrates an open-minded approach to understanding people regardless of their gender, age, race, national origin, religion, ethnicity, disability status, or other characteristics; treats all people fairly and consistently; effectively works with people from diverse backgrounds by treating them with dignity and respect.
- Able to adapt to and work with a variety of situations, individuals and groups. Able to think on feet, and not being disconcerted or stopped by the unexpected.
- Applies original thinking in approach to job responsibilities and to improve processes, methods, systems, or services.
- Planning and Organizing
- Establishes a systematic course of action for self or others to ensure accomplishment of specific objectives. Sets priorities, goals, tracking systems and timetables to achieve maximum productivity.