Section 1: Overview and Purpose of Position
|The Education Case Manager is responsible for fulfilling the JVS mission by providing education case management services for newly arrived refugee families. The Education Case Manager will assist all school aged students within Jackson County (ages 5-19) resettled by JVS on an individual basis to provide information on the school district where the family resides and complete the full enrollment process to ensure children are able to successfully start school. The duration of services with each family will depend on the required level of follow up with the school district, medical clinics for completed immunizations, and the level of in school support the child may need. Clients served are refugees who come from diverse backgrounds. Building and maintaining positive relationships with clients, communities, and agencies is an integral part of the position.
Section 2: Qualifications (skills, education, experience)
- Bachelor’s level degree in human services or related field, or equivalent related experience
- At least 1 year relevant experience in case management or similar roles
- Experience working with diverse groups
Section 3: Responsibilities/Duties
- Attend and assist with Newcomer Group for newly resettled refugee students
- Complete enrollment forms, gather supporting documentation and vaccine records for each student and submit to the correct enrollment office per district boundaries and guidelines.
- Follow vaccine process and submission of records for new students.
- Obtain transportation information from school districts and teach new arrival families on how to access bus/taxis. Troubleshoot transportation concerns for the first two weeks of school for new students.
- Provide transportation on the first day of school for high school students and connect to counselors for schedule.
- Assist in gathering and submitting academic transcripts for high school students.
- Coordinate with ELL Academic advisors for high school students as needed.
- Advocate as needed for supports at school, such as 504 plans, IEPs, and assist families with navigating the process.
- Make referrals to additional JVS programs as needed, in consultation with supervisor
- Educate families in districts with yearly re-enrollment processes how to navigate the process for sustainability.
- Provide education and support for understanding and attending Parent Teacher Conferences.
- Build connections and relationships with relevant community partners, including signature and charter schools.
- Attend supervision meetings with JVS manager and other required agency meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Section 4: Skills Needed
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with a proven ability to meet deadlines; able to effectively prioritize, delegate, and execute multiple tasks.
- Ability to be self-directed and highly flexible in daily work.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that is multicultural and multilingual.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to develop positive working relationships with both internal and external collaborators.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Word, Excel, Google Docs and internet-based communication.
Section 5: Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Hours- regular schedule
- Regular travel to client homes, community events and service providers in personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement
- Home Visits
- Much of the work is typically performed in an interior temperature-controlled office work environment. Position requires prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Some work may be performed at community sites such as other agency offices, schools, libraries, and other public meeting places. Employees may experience exposure to temperature extremes when in training situations, in a car, and while traveling to contacts outside of the agency facility.
- Use of cell phone is also required with partial reimbursement by agency.
Salary Range: $35,560 – $43,380
A note to Potential Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary individuals and BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single qualification listed in the job description. Here at JVS we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may come from a background less traditional to our field of work and that is okay. JVS strongly encourages you to apply, even if you do not believe you meet every qualification described.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org