Reports to Development Director
Full Time Non Exempt staff
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel. This document does not constitute a contract to work.
Summary – Overview and Purpose of Position
The Development Associate is a key member of the administrative team, focusing on fundraising and external relations. They help promote the mission of the agency through relationship building and donor cultivation.
Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and at least three years of experience in a professional, preferably non-profit, environment required.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse people and attitudes, possess a personal belief that others can be successful.
- Training and/or experience in fund development and/or experience in the Kansas City philanthropic community.
- Proficient in a Donor database system, Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint), program management software and comfortable using the internet.
- Enthusiasm for face-to-face and telephone fundraising and be driven to motivate others, achieve goals and get results.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills; detail focused; demonstrated record of meeting deadlines.
- Proven ability to work creatively and effectively with a wide variety of people and interest groups, and network successfully.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively represent the organization when speaking with funders, volunteers and the general public.
- Knowledge of, or experience in, online fundraising, nonprofit advocacy, membership cultivation and marketing is a plus
- Ability to be flexible and work in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to maintain a high level of integrity with internal and external audiences.
- Manage donor administration activities, including drafting donor reports, donor database entry, updates, invitations, thank you notes, and other materials
- Generate reports and update for donor giving capacity (current and new)
- Generate reports for donor activity and prospect
- Support fundraising activities targeting new gifts and maintaining/cultivating existing donors at the level of $250 and under
- Work with team to develop and execute consistent communication to cultivate and grow donor base
- Implement and monitor metrics and analysis of fundraising and constituent mobilization campaigns (i.e.-monthly, Year End Appeal, online…)
- Coordinate event logistics and manage tracking system in regards to Global Table: venue, vendors, invitations, program development and make recommendations on program content and organization, and/or facilitate coordination of speakers/presenters, develop program agendas, check in structure, auction and other areas
- Provide leadership, professional expertise, and direction in the planning and execution of high-quality agency events
- Research and secure new sponsorship opportunities
- Assist in maintaining current event sponsors
- Collaborate with Leadership team to maximize potential and meet event goals and objectives.
- Develop and/or maintain highly professional standards and procedures for production of events in keeping with the image and reputation of JVS
- Manage and prepare pre- and post-event calls for sponsorship and donations
- Prepare post-event analysis and report, including recommendations for future improvements
- Manage fulfillment of event pledges
- In partnership with key staff, develop and/or ensure utilization of technology to automate elements of event planning, tracking, and production
- Ensure accuracy and efficiency in event structure through software programs or establish DIY system
- Manage and coordinate Young Professionals Board calendar of fundraising events
- Provide design support for donor newsletters, flyers and print materials